Friday 6 April 2012

The Beginning of Something Amazing...

Have you ever stumbled upon something in your life that completely changed your previous ideas of how you thought your life would go? Something that makes almost too much sense for you? That leaves you with an eerie sense of synchronicity that pretty well spans your entire life? Something that tells you you’re on the right path?

Ok yes, that is a lot to digest. (Don’t feel discouraged if not, because you’re certainly not alone, and hey I support you in your search)

But, I’m being serious. In the last 6 months, I’ve totally changed my way of looking at my potential career, my life really and have taken the first steps down the path to starting my own company. Why you may ask?

Well ever since I was little, I’ve had a love affair with makeup. This sometimes reared its ugly head in me putting lipstick on my little boy cousin because he would let me, but mostly it was me just trying to cajole my mom into letting me wear lipstick to church at 5 and as I got older, sneaking eye liner, and then eventually pimping out my own collection aided by my sister’s and various gift cards to MAC. I’ve loved it because it’s real living art, something I naturally like doing for myself and somehow I got lucky enough in this life to be born the youngest of 4 gorgeous sisters, who, for all their far reaching intelligence lack a certain flair when it comes to a makeup brush.

I have so many great memories of times where I’d get ready with girlfriends to go out clubbing, help my sisters for events or early on in my relationship, the painstaking lengths I’d go to, to appear perfectly made up (and wouldn’t you know it, even still to this day he tells me that I should go without because practical to his nature, it’s good for my skin and I look just as pretty without)

Well, here’s the crux of this argument.

I spent years at York working towards a Bachelors Degree of Environment, where I learned all about harmful toxic substances, chemical preservatives and the laws and regulations that keep them in use today. With that constant barrage of scary rhetoric constantly being thrown my way, I learned that there are always alternatives to the way we live right now. So for all intents and purposes, I intend to do my part for this world, in the smartest way I know how.

I want to create a line of Mineral Makeup for women of all colours, that eliminates harsh chemical preservatives and makes a point of staying natural and organic.

I think all women are beautiful, but somehow, not all women are being catered to, especially women who fall on either ends of the colour spectrum out there, and to be really real, that angers me and gives me growing concern as a woman of colour (although, aren’t we all women of colour?). If we are ever to eliminate issues of accessibility, than things like this need to change. I won’t go into details about toxic body burden yet and how much crap is out there, but I will say that I believe that tides can, and will turn.

Someone wise once told me that Passion + Commitment (and a good dose of Realism) = Success. This is why I want to deliberately create my own future. This endeavour is somehow right for me, and I guess I’m the girl who, once she gets an idea in her head, or the idea won’t freakin’ leave her alone, goes for it.

I have fears just like you too, because I am only 24 years old and obviously have never taken on something this gutsy before, but this scared exhilaration drives me to become successful in something I want to do.

So yes, take this as the first of many PSA’s on the happenings of my mineral makeup adventure, and by all means throw me a line on what you think. (I legit need the input and want some outside perspective)

And always remember that you can do anything you put your mind to. This is made especially true, because the Law of Attraction deems it so (i.e. Like attracts like, and what you put your positive or negative energy into will attract the same from the benevolent universe)

So with that in mind, DO THE DAMN THANG!


When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly. - Barbara J. Winter

According to the laws of aerodynamics, the bumblebee can't fly either, but the bumblebee doesn't know anything about the laws of aerodynamics, so it goes ahead and flies anyway. - Igor Sikorsky

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I'm so happy you've connected with a strong passion. You will definitely attract abundance here -- I can feel it! Very inspiring post :)

    ReplyDelete